Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software/change Item Type

Hello, I have quickbooks pro 2012 and trying to clean up my Item list and make corrections, under the type of item, I have only 3 options, Service, non inventory part or other charge.

it seems I can change the Type if it was non inven part and change it to service (a box does come up that says you cant do it but them I click, I think ok and it does change it.), but if it is service I can not change it to non inven part, the type box is shaded out so cant even click on it.

any help much appreciated !

Hi June,
Unfortunately, QuickBooks does not permit you to change from a service item to any other type item.
The best you can do is to edit the service item
1. add a few characters to let you know NOT to
use it again (I will either put a Z in front of the item name or a DNU at the end to represent Do not use)
2. Make that item inactive
3. Set up a new item in the right type (noninventory or other charge)

Hope this helps

Linda Saltz, CPA
Advance Certified QuickBooks Advisor

Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software

Linda Saltz, CPA, QBalance.com

QuickBooks best practices, troubleshooting, accounting, tax We have over 70 pages of website content about QuickBooks tips, running a business, tax and business startup at http://www.qbalance.com

Accountant and CPA over 20 years. Specializing in accounting software for over 12 years, Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor, QuickBooks seminar instructor since 1997.
Producer of www.QBalance.com over 100 pages devoted to QuickBooks help and support and training for small business owners in tax and accounting issues.