Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software/How to give the commission discount to my customer!

Question
QUESTION: Dear Karin HOstetler!

I am LUCK. I am using QB 2010. I want to give "Commission Discount" to my customer. The total balance of the invoice is $1200. I must give 10% discount for this invoice, so what must I do to solve this problem?

Hope you understand what I mean!

I am looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible!

Thanks a lot!

My best regards,

LUCK

ANSWER: Hello Luck,
You will need to set up a discount item called "Commission Discount". When you set it up you will be able to set the percentage.  The income/expense account should be an income account called "returns and allowances".

When you enter the discount onto the invoice, you will need to subtotal the invoice (to get the total amount to be discounted) and then enter the discount at the very bottom.

Hope this helps

Karin

Sample
Sample  
QUESTION: Now I go to the "Item List" and then create 2 new items called "Sub Total" and "Comm Discount". For the "Comm Discount", I choose the "Expense Account" for "Comm Discount".

After that I go to the invoice and do as in the image attached to you.

Please feel very kind and free to help to explain to me more clearly about my work.

Thanks a lot and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

LUCK

ANSWER: Hi Luck,
My apologies, I should have qualified the need for a subtotal. It would be needed only if you have more than one line item.

The only other thing would be to be sure that the account for the item "Comm Discount" would be an income account called Returns and allowances.

Hope this clarifies things.
Karin

QUESTION: Hi!

Could you please tell what I must do to see the "Returns and allowances"? I was trying to find it but I couldn't find it. I really couldn't catch what you meant. Sorry for my being unaware of Quickbook.

In my view, I must create the "Comm Discount" and choose "Income Account", not the "Expense Account" as I informed you. Is it right?

Let me tell you why I decided to choose "Expense Account" for "Comm Discount". Because I think I must pay the discount amount to my customer, but you told me to choose "Income Account called Returns and allowances". I really don't understand it.

Thanks a lot and sorry for keeping you very busy with this.

Yours sincerely,

LUCK

Answer
Hi Luck,
the only bad question is the one not ask! :)  
You may need to create an account called Returns and Allowances in the chart of accounts.  It would be an income account but would have a negative balance on the Profit and Loss Statement.

You can set the discount to an expense account called Commissions or Commissions paid. This would not change the NET profit at all, but by putting it as an income account it directly reflect the reduction in income, before looking at the Cost of Goods and Expenses.  This might be something you would want to ask your Accountant. They may have a preference as to how they want it to be.
Karin  

Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software

Karin Hostetler