Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software/allocated saving percentages

We have one savings account but it is divided into different categories, in which a certain percentage of the savings goes into each. How can I set that up in quickbooks? Is there anyway to set it up to automatically deposit that percentage into each category?
Also can I set up automatic savings deposits?

Hi Julie,
There are a couple of things to consider before giving you a step by step procedure.
1. Will you need the two catagories to show up on the balance sheet?
    Ex   Savings account - Repair and maintenance
         Savings account - Building Improvements
If this is the case, you will need to set up sub accounts under the savings account for each item.
  You do this by clicking on lists
  Clicking on chart of accounts
  Clicking on Account at the bottom of the window
  Click on Add new
(this next step will depend on how you set the savings account up.
You need to select the same type of account (bank, current asset, other asset, if you don't see it in the first window, click on other account types and select the correct account type
  click on Continue
  Enter the name of the sub account
  Put a check mark into the box next to Subaccount of
  In the next field, click the down arrow and select your savings account
   Enter a description
   Click Save and close

Do this for both sub accounts (if you need them)

When you record the deposit - (if it's coming from a company checking account) it will actually be a check and not a deposit. (be careful not to enter these twice)

If the amount of the deposit is the same each month you may enter a memorized transaction that breaks the amounts down to each sub account.

write checks
Number (either the check number if you wrote a check, or eft for a transfer)
payee - You can set up an other name called Savings account)
amount is the full amount of the deposit
unders expenses:
you can enter the two different sub accounts and amounts (if you set them up)
or you can enter two separate lines using the name you assigned to the savings account as the expense account, and in the memo enter the two separate catagories, one on each line)

Once you have the check set up, click on memorize at the top of the check window.

A separate window will come up to let you name the transaction and set up re-occurring transactions.

Let me know if you need help in setting up the memorized transaction.

Hope this helps

Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software

Karin Hostetler

I am a certifed member of QuickBooks® Professional Advisor group and can answer questions on Quickbooks® Basic and Pro, all versions through 2011. I do onsite, telephone and online consulting through my website at: http://www.karinhconsulting.com Have a complicated issue that you can't put into one question? Consider a one time FREE 60 minute phone consultation. (724) 557-4652

I have worked with Quickbooks® since version 1, and have had a tip published on the Intuit website. I work exclusively with small business owners in setting up Quickbooks®, giving on-going support to tweak the reports, resolving data issues and correcting problems. I offer monthly, quarterly and yearly tune-ups to prepare the clients data for presentation to their CPA at year end.

Intuit Pro-connection

I have a degree in Administration and Management with 20 years of hands on business experience in many fields