Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software/quickbooks

Our school offers a gift card program where you buy giftcards at a kickback to offset the cost of tuition.  My question is how can I enter the purchases in Quickbooks? For example each week I purchase $150 of Safeway cards.  I then spend those giftcards on groceries, gas, and pharmacy purchases.  Is there an easier way for me to enter the amount spent on each other then going back and redoing it each week?

Set up the gift card as a credit card account
List menu > chart of accounts > right click > add new > name is xx gift card >
type = credit card.

When you purchase the gift card, post to the credit card account you just set up.
Then from  banking menu > enter credit card charges > enter each purchase separately and code to the appropriate account.   

You can look at the register to see the balance remaining on the gift cards.

Hope this helps

Linda Saltz, CPA
Advanced Certified QB Advisor
We offer QuickBooks Support and Sales

Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software

Linda Saltz, CPA, QBalance.com

QuickBooks best practices, troubleshooting, accounting, tax We have over 70 pages of website content about QuickBooks tips, running a business, tax and business startup at http://www.qbalance.com

Accountant and CPA over 20 years. Specializing in accounting software for over 12 years, Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor, QuickBooks seminar instructor since 1997.
Producer of www.QBalance.com over 100 pages devoted to QuickBooks help and support and training for small business owners in tax and accounting issues.