Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software/modifying invoice template

Question
QUESTION: Hello

I am using Quickbooks 2008.  

On the top right corner where I can choose with a drop down arrow, the type of invoice I want.  This under Template, Print preview.   Somehow, I have the wrong invoice on the top as a default.  It is Quote rather that the third one down which is the invoice I almost always use.  Many times I forget and print the wrong one.

How can I change it so that the third one, will be the default on top?

Thank you very much,    Gabe

ANSWER: Hi Gabriel

QB uses what is called a "sticky setting" for templates

You need to save a brand new invoice with the new template (on the original save)
Once you do that, it alerts QB that this is the template you want to use as a default.

You can also make all other invoice templates inactive except the one you use
Go to the list menu > templates > right click on all the ones you do not use and make inactive.

Hope this helps,

Linda Saltz CPA
Advanced Certified QuickBooks Advisor
http://www.qbalance.com

We sell and support QuickBooks Enterprise

QUESTION: Hello

Thank you very much for your answer.   I so want to keep the 2 other invoices.  How do I exactly creating and saving a new invoice ( that will stay on the top of the list) ?

Thanks again  Gabriel

ANSWER: There is no default setting, only a sticky setting

It will remember the last NEW invoice saved.
Open an invoice, enter a customer name > select template, add an item and
save. Then until you save a new invoice with a different template it will
continue with the same template.

If you want a specific invoice to be on the top of the list
List menu > template> find the template you want on top > right click
and edit > click on manage template button > and edit the template name.
If you put AAA or 000 in front of the template name it will put it on the
top  of the template list.

However, as mentioned,  it is a sticky setting and you will have to be vigilant
when you change to a different template and save, that the next invoice changes
the template back.

I like to click on the preview button before saving to make sure that I have selected
the correct template.

Linda Saltz, CPA

QUESTION: Hello  

When reaching Edit Template Name  (find the template you want on top > right click
and edit > click on manage template button > and edit the template name.)  - it is grayish  - won't allow to type anything there.

When saving it, still the unwanted invoice is on the top...Just got one more COPY 3 which is another unwanted one.  How exactly can I delete it ?  

Could you please look into it again?

Thank you very much,   Gabe

Answer
Sorry,  missed this follow-up.

You cannot delete templates that have been used.
If it has not been used in a transaction, and it is not an intuit
default template, you can delete as follows:
list menu > templates > click once on the template you want to delete > from the
template button on the bottom of the window, select delete template.

If it has been used, you can make the template inactive so that it does not show on the list
List menu > templates > right click on the template and select make template inactive

The template that you want to rename  may be grayed out because it is a default template
So first make a copy of that template by clicking once on it, then selecting the
template button on the bottom of the screen and choose to duplicate the template.
Next, double click on the copied template > click on manage templates > and rename with AAA
in the front.

Now return to the default template and make that one inactive by right clicking on it and
selecting make inactive.

Linda Saltz, CPA

Quicken & Other Budget/Accounting Software

Linda Saltz, CPA, QBalance.com