Quilting/Materials to make rag quilts

I have a lot of cotton/polyester material I bought over the years and have never used.  I would like to make a rag quilt using the material.  I have read that cotton/polyester is not recommended.  Please tell me your thoughts on this.  I would like to use it if possible. Also, what kind of batting would you use.  I don't want it very heavy.  Thank you so much for your reply.

Polyester does not fringe along the cut edges like cotton does. Polyester edges may curl and become fuzzy instead. The polyester will also prevent the customary fractional shrinkage which adds to a rumpled, worn look. Knowing all that, if it doesn't bother you, you could still use your blends. The result will just look a bit different than the 100% cotton versions.

I prefer an 80%-20% cotton-polyester batting. It is lightweight, but the cotton content allows a lovely drape, as opposed to a large amount of polyester which will give no warmth and will stick out at the corners of a bed.

I hope this is helpful.

Connie Hester  

Connie Hester

Quilting and applique expert.Can advise on the following topics:quilting, art quilts, quilt design and construction, machine and hand quilting, paper foundation piecing, machine piecing, hand piecing, raw edge applique, turned-edge applique and fiber art.

Winning awards in international fiber and art competitions since 1983; BS,MS See my work and books at