Quilting/Rag quilt queen bed

If have 3 colors for a queen rag quilt how many squares and how much of each material would I purchase for 8 inch square and 6 squares. One color would be my main color and the other 2 would be the same amount of squares.

Thanks in advance.
Irma Friesen

Hey Irma,

I actually don't do these calculations anymore - way too much time.  

However, one of my first questions dealt with this and here is a link to the answer:

You should be able to work through the math relatively easily if you follow this guide.  Thanks so much and good luck with your quilt.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science