Quilting/across and down

Question
Hello
I have forgotten > How to determine how many square to sew across and sew down? I know you multiply what ever number goes into both.(width and length)
I know how to determine size of batting.
Thank you Brenda

Answer
I think this is your answer:

Decide how wide and how long you want your quilt.  Let's say you want to make a crib size quilt for a toddler (45"x60").  You now need to decide how big you want your squares to be.  Some people like really small squares (lots more sewing) and some people (like me) like bigger squares.  I would go with a 6" or 7" square - I think these sizes let the pattern of your fabric show more and take less sewing - It's entirely up to you.  You could make the quilt with 10" or 15" squares if you want - there just won't be much ragging.  

Anyway, back to the question.  Since you need a quilt that's 45x60 - I would start with a 6" square.  This will give you a 5" finished square with 1/2" seams.  Now if you want to do 1" seams, you will need to cut your starting squares at 7" to end up with a 5" square.  Now, you just divide your width and length by your finished square size (5") to get the number of squares you need.  45/5 = 9 and 60/5 = 12.  Multiply these two results and you've got the number of squares you need (84).  Now this is just the front, so you'll need to double this number for the back and front.  

Have a good one!

Quilting

Audrey Zohner