Please clarified more how to calculate how much fabric you need to buy?
Please just calculate 44" fabric. Easier to figure out.
"This is the hard part.  Figuring how much fabric you need.  Now this depends on how many colors, how wide the fabric is, etc.  Simply put, divide the width of your fabric by the block size with seam allowances included.  Round this number down.  This gives you the number of whole blocks you can get.  Then divide the total number of blocks that you need by the number of blocks you can get from the width of your fabric. Round this number up and multiply it by your block size with seam allowances included.  
For example: I will need 218-6" squares for a 45"x60" quilt.   108 for the front and 108 for the backing.  If I am using a 45" wide fabric, then I can get 7.5 squares.  However, I can only get 7 whole squares.  218/7=31.11111 or 32.  32x6"=192" or 5.333 yards."  
9 x 12= 108
108 x 108 = 216? squares to cut
45"x60" = 9 sqs across 12 down
Fabric Finished size 5"
Cut out 6" fabric squares
1/2" seam allowance
Batting 5" squares
Fabric amount??
Thank you Bren

You're right so far.

Using 44" fabric = 44/6 (your starting square size) = 7.333

Since you can only get 7 whole squares from the width, you round down from 7.33 to 7.  So, you can get 7 squares from the width of your fabric.  You need 216 squares, so divide 216 by 7 = 30.87.  This gets rounded up to 31 (this 31 number is the number of 6" rows you need to cut from the length).  You now multiply 31 and 6 (your starting square size) to get the total length you need to buy = 186" or 5.16 yards.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at audreysragquilts.etsy.com.

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science