Quilting/4 square rag quilt

Hi Audrey,
I am about to embark on my first rag quilt. I was planning on mixing 9" solid squares with four squares containing four coordinated fabrics.  I just want to double check.   If I cut the single fabric solid squares to be nine inches, and am using 1/2 inch seam allowances, I will need each of the coordinating four square fabrics to be cut at 5", yes?

That sounds right.  The 9" square will end up 8" after sewing.  The 5" squares will end up being 4" after sewing.  So, these measurements should work.  Are the 5" square blocks going to be sewn together into a 4 square pattern and then sewn next to the solid square?  If so, then this will definitely work.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science