You are here:

Quilting/finishing a quilt


I recently purchased a beautiful quilt top and was wondering if you know of someone who could turn it into a finished quilt. It would'nt have to have a lot of intricate quilting just batting, back and edges. I am in Portland, OR. Thank you!


Thanks for writing.  I am in the field of antique quilts and really do not know much about who can finish a top.

However, I can suggest that you go to a local quilt store -  ideally, not a chain store like Joann's but rather an
independently owned shop, and ask there.

I know there are some quilt "guilds" in your area.  You might try Googling Oregon Quilt Guild, and see what comes up.
Those women are usually very helpful on things like this.  E-mail whoever the contact person is for a guild near you, and just explain what you are looking for. A good bet, I'd think...

Sorry I can not give you specific contacts -- I am in California.

Good luck with this.

Julie Silber


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Julie Silber


I can speak to the age, design, style, region, history, and value of antique quilts.


Forty years as an appraiser, dealer, historian, collector, consultant and museum curator in the area of QUILTS MADE BEFORE 1950.

American Quilt Study Group (former Board Member); Alliance for the American Quilt (Former Board Member)

Author or co-author of several award winning books on Quilt History; numerous articles on quilt history published over a 30 year period. Details upon request.

B.A., American History, University of Michigan; Post Graduate courses in folklore, history and art history

Past/Present Clients
Esprit de Corp., San Francisco; Levi Strauss, San Francisco; Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, MI; Oregon Historical Society, Portland, OR

©2017 All rights reserved.