Quilting/size squares

After you wash your rag quilt, its smaller. I cut out 7" sqs. sew to 6" and washed I measure inside of the square is 5" not the stitching part. 1/2" seam allowance. Does that sound about right to you?? Would you need to make an extra square to come to the size you would want?? Thank you.

It depends on your flannel.  Some flannel will shrink more than others.  I guess I've never been really big on getting my quilts to an exact size, so it never bothered me if my flannel shrank a bit more or less.  If your quilt is too small when you're done washing/drying, there's no reason you can't sew another row and sew that row onto the edge of your quilt to make it the size you want.  I think it would be cute to have a "border" of smaller blocks all the way around.  I would take a note of what brand of flannel you used so you know that it really shrinks and you can plan for that shrinkage if you buy it again.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at audreysragquilts.etsy.com.

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science