Quilting/wash

Question
Hello
Q1:Do you wash and dry your rag quilt BEFORE you give it to someone as a gift??
Q2: Would you do the same if you sold it??
Q3: Would you use detergent or use just the water from the washer?? and NO fabric softener??
Thank you

Answer
Q1: Yes, you must wash and dry or it won't be raggedy when you give it to them.  Also, you will need to clean out your dryer lint catcher several times before the quilt is done drying - you don't want to give it to someone before this step.
Q2: Always wash/dry before considering the quilt finished.
Q3: I wash the quilt as I expect the recipient to wash it.  That way, I know it will be fine when they wash it.  I never use fabric softener (not even for regular clothes), but you can if you want to.

Quilting

Audrey Zohner