Quilting/quilts from an estate

I have received through an estate two completed hand-quilted quilts, one quilt top, and one completed crazy quilt.  I have an interest in selling them, but I do not know how to go about doing that, fearful of someone taking advantage of my inexperience.  I am unable to post any photos as I have no cell phone.  Hope I haven't sounded like an idiot in this e-mail.  Any help you can offer would be appreciated.  I am located in the Pittsburgh, PA, area.  Thank you.  Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for writing.  I will be happy to help if I can -- and know likely ways for you to sell your quilt and quilt top.

BUT, I can't help without photos...  is it possible for you to find a way to get me some images?  Maybe grab a 12 or 15 year old and ask for help???

Short of that, please describe then as best you can including size, colors, fabrics, and condition especially.  Crazy quilts are often made of fragile fabrics and can be in rough shape -- though not always.

Do the most you can and I will too!

Julie Silber  

Julie Silber

I can speak to the age, design, style, region, history, and value of antique quilts.

Forty years as an appraiser, dealer, historian, collector, consultant and museum curator in the area of QUILTS MADE BEFORE 1950.

American Quilt Study Group (former Board Member); Alliance for the American Quilt (Former Board Member)

Author or co-author of several award winning books on Quilt History; numerous articles on quilt history published over a 30 year period. Details upon request.

B.A., American History, University of Michigan; Post Graduate courses in folklore, history and art history

Esprit de Corp., San Francisco; Levi Strauss, San Francisco; Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, MI; Oregon Historical Society, Portland, OR