Quilting/Old crazy quilt patches

Crazy quilt patches
Crazy quilt patches  
Hi Connie,
My friend inherited about 80 crazy quilt blocks made in the 1920s. Some were incomplete, and we have worked over the past year to finish embroidering the blocks. However, the blocks are very inconsistent in size. Should the blocks be squared up to an even size? This could result in losing a fair amount from some of the blocks. Try to fit them together like a puzzle? This might result in a bit of a wonky looking quilt, but then it is a crazy quilt. Find some suitable fabrics to add on to the edges of the smaller pieces? Any advice you could give us would be much appreciated.
Thank you,

If it were me, I would probably frame each block in a solid fabric that complements the entire composition of the quilt and then square them all up to the same size.

Besides making the joining of the blocks easier, this will allow you to control the finished size of the quilt, depending on how wide or narrow the block borders are.

Connie Hester

Connie Hester

Quilting and applique expert.Can advise on the following topics:quilting, art quilts, quilt design and construction, machine and hand quilting, paper foundation piecing, machine piecing, hand piecing, raw edge applique, turned-edge applique and fiber art.

Winning awards in international fiber and art competitions since 1983; BS,MS See my work and books at