Quilting/ragquilt square

Instead of using the batting in the middle I am using flannel. What I don't know,  what to do with the first square one end of it.(its open not sewn) The other end is sewn to another square, with batting the X holds the fabric together.
I hope you understand what I am saying.
Thank you B.

As long as your flannel batting is the same size as your squares, then it will be sewn into the seam and that will keep it in place.  If you cut your flannel batting smaller than your front/back squares, then you will need to sew the X.  If you don't sew the X, then the batting will move and ball up in no time and ruin your quilt.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science