Quilting/ragquilt square

Question
Hello
Instead of using the batting in the middle I am using flannel. What I don't know,  what to do with the first square one end of it.(its open not sewn) The other end is sewn to another square, with batting the X holds the fabric together.
I hope you understand what I am saying.
Thank you B.

Answer
As long as your flannel batting is the same size as your squares, then it will be sewn into the seam and that will keep it in place.  If you cut your flannel batting smaller than your front/back squares, then you will need to sew the X.  If you don't sew the X, then the batting will move and ball up in no time and ruin your quilt.

Quilting

Audrey Zohner