Quilting/binding and general

(My first Quilt)
for a king size bed for my son and his girl friend I did the Rail Fence - I am using a king size sheet for the back, and I have pinned the top (actual quilt) to the batting and sheet
Im confused what to do next?

I am unsure how I am actually going to "Quilt" this becuase I do not have a real quilting machine - but I am stuck on what my next step is, binding? or sewing the pieces together?
(still not sure how Im going  to do that) it wont be really fancy "quilting stick) I know that and I knwo I will have to flip dlop the quilt on all four sides so beable to sew the top/middle and bottom together - becuase I am using a regular sewing mahcine...
Thanks for ANY help

Nina (from Chicago)

With a regular sewing machine you are not going to be able to machine quilt it without a lot of problems.

Machine quilting is tricky and for a king size quilt it's a big deal.
After you make the 'sandwich' you have to do a LOT of pinning with safety pins (there is a style of safety pins for this sold by quilting supply places).

BUT... I have done a couple king size quilts and I have to confess I have taken them to someone who does big arm machine quilting and paid to have them quilted.

I don't recommend doing a king size quilt as your first machine quilting project.

I see you are in Chicago and I bet there are some good quilting shops to ask advice and line you up with someone to quilt it for you.

Susan Druding

Susan Druding

Questions on all aspects of quilting are welcome: both art quilting and traditional. I have been involved with the textile arts for more than 30 years - history, technique, materials. Helping beginners as well as experienced quilters find quilting teachers and finding quilt resources on the Web is a specialty.

I am a quilter, both art and traditional. I was the Quilting Guide on (previously called The Mining Co.) for more than 8 years.
I now have my own personal quilting information site at and have many resources to help quilters, beginning to expert.

Quilting at

MA in textile design, U of Calif, Berkeley

I have shown quilts in various shows and exhibitions and won a Judge's Choice Ribbon in Houston 2000