Quilting/Thread color for Amish quilt

Question
I am quilting an older hand-pieced Amish top for a friend. What color of thread should I use ? The quilt is black with  triangles of solid, dull jewel tones. Any info on this subject would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Answer
Amish quiilt detail
Amish quiilt detail  

LancasterCo, PA Amish quilt detail
LancasterCo, PA Amish  

Thanks for your question.  What I can tell you is that prior to about 1960 or so, when the Amish were making quilts for themselves and not for tourists, they typically used "non-contrasting" color threads for quilting.

They did not necessarily "match" them up -- but used light to dark neutral colors depending on what color the fabric was.

The idea, we think, was to do very good stitching, but to keep it quiet.  The non contrasting colors give the quilt lots of texture, but the quilting remains subtle and avoids calling attention to itself.

It may have to do with a central Amish principle, taken form the Bible ...  Pride was considered a sin, and keeping the fine stitching quiet and reticent may have helped them reamin consistent with that principle.

I hope this helps,
Julie

www.thequiltcomplex.com

Quilting

Julie Silber