Quilting/Sashing and stripes

Q1: Have you ever made a rag quilt using sashings or stripes between the blocks?
Q2: If you did what size would it be? and would it be folded in half?
Q3: Have you ever used binding on a rag quilt?
I am trying to think of doing rag quilts in different ways.
I wish I could see some of your rag quilts.  Thank you B.

I have made a quilt with stripes between the blocks.  I just did a baby quilt and I made the stripes the same length as my squares and as wide as I liked.  I did not fold it in half.  I sewed it like a normal square, it was just a long rectangle.  I don't do binding - absolutely despise it.  I hate putting together a quilt and then having to take even more time to bind the dumb thing.  Avoiding binding is why I sew rag quilts rather than normal quilts.

If you'd like to see some of my quilts, go to this link:   There are several quilts listed that I sold and one of them features a pinwheel quilt block and sashing between the blocks.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science