Q1: When you  make rag quilts what size seam allowance do you use for Squares under 8"??
and for Squares 8" and up??  1/2"??   3/4"??  1"??
Q2: How much extra do I add to the squares if the seams are 1/2"??  3/4"?? 1"??
Thank you B.

I always use a 1/2".  I don't like how really shaggy the 1" seams are, so everything is always 1/2".

Pick your seam allowance and double it = how many inches to add the the square all around.  For example, if you want a finished 8" square and want to use 1/2" seams, you need to add 1/2" to all four sides resulting in a 9" square.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science