Quilting/Shrink in size

Question
Hello
Since 100% cotton flannel is used and 100% cotton batting is used on rag quilts how much does the quilt shrink across ?? and length??
Thank you B.

Answer
I honestly don't know.  I think I lose about 2-4" around when I wash the quilts on hot and dry them on high heat.  They also pill like crazy when you wash them like that.  If you wash them in cold water and tumble dry low, then you won't have nearly as much shrinkage (maybe 1-2") and almost no pilling.  I always tell people to wash my rag quilts in cold water and tumble dry low to keep them looking their best - otherwise the flannel pills within the first few washes and the blanket looks old and ragged.

Now, I have started making quilts with a top layer of quilting cotton and those stay looking good regardless of how you wash them.  They don't rag as well, but people still like them for summer quilts.

Quilting

Audrey Zohner