Quilting/Shrink in size

Since 100% cotton flannel is used and 100% cotton batting is used on rag quilts how much does the quilt shrink across ?? and length??
Thank you B.

I honestly don't know.  I think I lose about 2-4" around when I wash the quilts on hot and dry them on high heat.  They also pill like crazy when you wash them like that.  If you wash them in cold water and tumble dry low, then you won't have nearly as much shrinkage (maybe 1-2") and almost no pilling.  I always tell people to wash my rag quilts in cold water and tumble dry low to keep them looking their best - otherwise the flannel pills within the first few washes and the blanket looks old and ragged.

Now, I have started making quilts with a top layer of quilting cotton and those stay looking good regardless of how you wash them.  They don't rag as well, but people still like them for summer quilts.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science