Quilting/Baby quilt

Q1: What is a good size for a  Baby Quilt?? I would like it big enough across so it can be tucked in on the sides of the crib.
Q2:  Is a Rag Quilt safe to have on the baby in the crib?? If not, I can make a regular one.
Thank you. Brenda

I really like 45"x63" with 10" starting blocks.  It'll be 5 squares across and 7 squares down.  Makes a great size quilt for the crib and will last for a long time as a regular lap quilt.  I never used a rag quilt in the crib - I used them as play mats (turned upside down so the fuzz is down), stroller quilts and then started using them in my daughter's toddler bed once she turned 2 (when she stopped trying to eat them).  They are her favorite quilts now.  

If it were me, I would make a bunch of flannel swaddling blankets (42" or 45" square - single layer of flannel- edges either serged or hemmed) and then make a 45"x63" blanket out of all the flannels you used for the swaddling blankets.  Lots of blankets for swaddling, spitting up, tummy time, in the crib, etc and one big blanket to use now or later.  Heck, you could go crazy and make burp rags too.  

Anyway, hope this helps.  Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at audreysragquilts.etsy.com.

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science