When making an all Flannel Baby Quilt should I wash All the Fabrics first??
This is NOT a rag quilt, just a regular quilt sewing the squares together.

Personally, I wash EVERY fabric I use in quilts.
You never know how much they will shrink and change after washing and flannel does tend to shrink, in my experience.
Also, some flannels have quite a bit of sizing in them to get out before you sew.
I'd wash, dry in a dryer, and iron before cutting.

Hope this helps,

Susan Druding

Susan Druding

Questions on all aspects of quilting are welcome: both art quilting and traditional. I have been involved with the textile arts for more than 30 years - history, technique, materials. Helping beginners as well as experienced quilters find quilting teachers and finding quilt resources on the Web is a specialty.

I am a quilter, both art and traditional. I was the Quilting Guide on About.com (previously called The Mining Co.) for more than 8 years.
I now have my own personal quilting information site at www.Equilters.com and have many resources to help quilters, beginning to expert.

Quilting at About.com www.equilters.com

MA in textile design, U of Calif, Berkeley

I have shown quilts in various shows and exhibitions and won a Judge's Choice Ribbon in Houston 2000