Quilting/stripes between blocks

Have you ever done stripes of fabric between each block?? Is it done for regular quilts only?
Instead of sewing two blocks tog, you put a two inch piece of fabric between the blocks, can this be done in rag quilting?
Thank you Bren

You could totally do it - it's just like another block, but a rectangle shape.  Make sure you add the seam allowance to each side and sew the X if you're using poly batting.  Otherwise, it's just the same as your regular square blocks.  

Here's a link to a quilt I made with strips between blocks:

Audrey Zohner

I am an expert rag quilter. I have made over 100 rag quilts and would love to assist others with questions and methods. I don't know much about actual quilting like machine or hand quilting or applique. I am, however, the resident expert on rag quilting in my town. If you want to make a rag quilt, I am your woman.

I have been sewing for 12 years and rag quilting for 4. I have experienced just about every pitfall there is in rag quilting. Check out my quilts at

ISU Craft Club EtsyKids

High school diploma Bachelor's in Animal Science