RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats/battery

Question
Hi

I have a 36 inch radio control model boat 7.2 motor what is the best battery I whant long last not speed what do you suggest

thanks louis

Answer
Most less expensive radio controlled models come with NiCd (nickel cadmium) type batteries. They are prone to providing poor performance and a slow discharge rate. You will want to look for a 7.2 volt NiMH (nickel metal-hydride) type battery. It will last longer, and you will be able to buy larger capacity batteries with a NiMH chemistry. You will need a battery the same shape/dimensions as your current battery, and you will need a 7.2v NiMH charger. Both of these items are readily available on ebay for very little money.
A bigger capacity battery will see runtime increase a lot, and you will notice a slight increase in performance. The battery you have is probably between 1200 and 1800 MaH (capacity). Doubling that capacity will almost double the run time. NiCd batteries usually don't come in large capacities, but NiMH batteries can go above and beyond 5500MaH. NiMH batteries can also be charged much more quickly, so look around for a faster charger to suit your new battery, also readily available on ebay

RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats

Robin Bartlett