RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats/Hydroplane

Hello, I have recently inherited a 48 inch long Budweiser U-1 Hydroplane (Hull only).  I would like to get it running but since I have only basic knowledge of all things RC I am hopeful you can help.

I am hopeful there is a way to equip this boat without spending crazy money.  It has been used previously as a gasoline powered (Zenoah G260PUM) boat.  But my basic research tells me I will need (at least) an engine, clutch, prop and prop shaft, rudder, muffler, all RC electronics and anything else.

What components would you recommend and the best resource for them?  Also, if there is a less expensive, but similarly efficient electric motor system please let me know.  I know there are some strong electric motors but this is a good size boat.

Thanks you for your time and thoughts.  Chris K.

Hey Chris,
Awesome boat, very jealous!
Now to equip such a boat is not going to be cheap by any means, but there are plenty of ways you can save money. Zenoah engines regularly pop up on eBay and in for sale sections of online forums like www.rcgroups.com and www.rcuniverse.com to name a couple. There are RC boat specific subsections.
Running such a boat with a gas engine will limit you to where you can run it due to noise restrictions/complaints because a little 26cc Zenoah engine at top end is not going to be quiet without a very restrictive exhaust. You will also find that there are fewer gas options available than electric options. This is simply because electric powered RC's have come a long way from the slow and short lived fun of 15 years ago.
I am biased because I prefer electric boats, and although electronics will probably cost more than a gasoline setup, you have a lot more options as to how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend. You could quite easily bankrupt yourself just as easily as you could spend under ~$400 and have a very fast and reliable setup that .
For parts and advice, I can recommend nowhere else but www.offshoreelectrics.com
There you will find a forum full of people willing to help you in return for nothing but a thank you and you will also find many essential supplies in the online store. Their prices are fair and they make it easy to find what you need. A post on the forum with some detailed interior and exterior pictures of your hull will help you find the exact parts you need.
Other good sources for parts, mainly electronics, are as follows:

Hobbyking is a great source for cheap electronics, as they are based in hong kong and have a US warehouse. This should be the place you source your batteries and chargers at the very least. You may also find an appropriate motor too, although they don't focus too strongly on RC boat supplies.

I hope some of this helps, let me know if you want any more help :)

RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats

Robin Bartlett

I Can answer most RC car and boat based questions, whether they be about engine tuning, electronics, making the right choice of equipment/car, mechanical issues, or how to set up a car or truck for different conditions. I can also answer basic boating questions and beginner to intermediate airplane questions.

I have been Driving RC cars since the age of 1. I built my first RC kit at the age of 4 with my father, and the hobby grew from there. I am also an amateur RC plane pilot. I am a seasoned Monster Truck racer, appearing regularly at shows in france and switzerland. I usually compete in 1/8 buggy classes, short course classes and MT classes. But im a basher at heart. I have also been boating for nearly 5 years, running Brushless offshore catamarans and deep-vees mainly, but at a beginner/intermediate level.

"Mini-Monster-Club-Romand" - local swiss forum "Centralemaxx" - large french forum, dedicated to Traxxas's Maxx series of cars

I give advice and tips on RCuniverse, BeatYourTruck, RC-Monster, and several others. I Have been a test driver for RCRacingCars magazine, test drove a "Tamiya TT-01D" in 2005 and a "Traxxas Rustler" in 2006.

I have had private schooling all of my life, currently taking IGCSE's. I have an "A+" in IGCSE French, an "A" in IGCSE English

I have won 6 short course races in the last year: Modified and Stock class. I have previously won club races in Electric TC stock class. I came second in a local club's 1/8 buggy class- won a Savage Flux from HPI Racing

I run my own repair service, advertising in 3 of my local hobby shops and online on a small ads website. I usually get around five to six cars per week in the summer for repairs, and one or two during the winter