RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats/disc brakes

I have no experience with RC cars,but I have a recent project I am working on geared specifically to the use of disc brakes that are used on RC cars.  I was hoping that I could find an expert that may be able to help me with my project vision by answering some questions.  To start, are there different size disc brake systems?  Are they all electric?  Can they be designed to turn on or off with a switch?  I have more questions, but that is a small start.  Thanks for your time.

The only disc brakes I know of for RC cars are used on FG 1/5th scale cars and HPI 1/5th scale cars. A few traxxas cars use a single disc brake mounted to a center driveshaft as well. I believe some very top end systems are hydraulic but the rest are cable or pushrod activated.
Hope this helps!

RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats

Robin Bartlett

I Can answer most RC car and boat based questions, whether they be about engine tuning, electronics, making the right choice of equipment/car, mechanical issues, or how to set up a car or truck for different conditions. I can also answer basic boating questions and beginner to intermediate airplane questions.

I have been Driving RC cars since the age of 1. I built my first RC kit at the age of 4 with my father, and the hobby grew from there. I am also an amateur RC plane pilot. I am a seasoned Monster Truck racer, appearing regularly at shows in france and switzerland. I usually compete in 1/8 buggy classes, short course classes and MT classes. But im a basher at heart. I have also been boating for nearly 5 years, running Brushless offshore catamarans and deep-vees mainly, but at a beginner/intermediate level.

"Mini-Monster-Club-Romand" - local swiss forum "Centralemaxx" - large french forum, dedicated to Traxxas's Maxx series of cars

I give advice and tips on RCuniverse, BeatYourTruck, RC-Monster, and several others. I Have been a test driver for RCRacingCars magazine, test drove a "Tamiya TT-01D" in 2005 and a "Traxxas Rustler" in 2006.

I have had private schooling all of my life, currently taking IGCSE's. I have an "A+" in IGCSE French, an "A" in IGCSE English

I have won 6 short course races in the last year: Modified and Stock class. I have previously won club races in Electric TC stock class. I came second in a local club's 1/8 buggy class- won a Savage Flux from HPI Racing

I run my own repair service, advertising in 3 of my local hobby shops and online on a small ads website. I usually get around five to six cars per week in the summer for repairs, and one or two during the winter