RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats/ok cub .049 engine

I recently came across an ok cub .049 engine that I purchased in the 1960s. Haven't used it since. What kind of fuel do I need and can you buy it? Should I do anything to it before trying to start it, considering its age?
Thanks for any advice.

Hi Bob,

If you ran it in the 1960s, then it will be pretty gummed up.  You might be able to disassemble it and clean it.  Fuel is still available for it, but very expensive.  You might find glow fuel at a local hobby shop or online at places like Tower Hobbies.  The glow plug may or may not be good.  It might be hard to find a replacement plug.  Finding a 1-1/2 volt hobby battery might also prove to be difficult.  

Can you get it running again?  Well, maybe.  

Is it worth your time, trouble and today's dollars to do so?  Only you can answer that question.

RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats

Ken Myers

I can answer beginning, advanced and expert questions about electrically powered R/C model aircraft, and many questions about R/C model aircraft of all types, except helicopters. I`ve been building, flying and designing R/C model aircraft for 40 years.

I have been building and flying radio controlled model aircraft since 1960. I'm the president of the Electric Flyers Only, Inc., located in southeasten Michigan. I'm a past president of the National Electric Aircraft Council. I'm vice-president of the Midwest R/C Society. I was president and main founder of the UFO (Union Lake Flying Organization). I've built and flown most types of model aircraft except helicopters.