RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats/ok cub .049 engine

Question
I recently came across an ok cub .049 engine that I purchased in the 1960s. Haven't used it since. What kind of fuel do I need and can you buy it? Should I do anything to it before trying to start it, considering its age?
Thanks for any advice.

Answer
Hi Bob,

If you ran it in the 1960s, then it will be pretty gummed up.  You might be able to disassemble it and clean it.  Fuel is still available for it, but very expensive.  You might find glow fuel at a local hobby shop or online at places like Tower Hobbies.  The glow plug may or may not be good.  It might be hard to find a replacement plug.  Finding a 1-1/2 volt hobby battery might also prove to be difficult.  

Can you get it running again?  Well, maybe.  

Is it worth your time, trouble and today's dollars to do so?  Only you can answer that question.

Sincerely,
Ken  

RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats

Ken Myers