RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats/changing a control module from a helicopter to a tank?

Question
hello,
may I first say thank you all for taking the time to help me, it is so great to know that no matter what I would ever like to learn, there are people out there willing to share their knowledge and help people achieve their goals.
I have acquired 2 remote control tanks, I believe they are 1/16 scale.
One is an A1 Abrahms and one is an old stuart tank.
they are huge so I believe 1/16 scale maybe?
I also have an 18inch long E-Flite helicopter, it was in working order, just had the frame broken and I repaired all that, but have found out battery pack and some issues is making me want to just fix one of thew tanks so I can enjoy being a 50+ year old child again.
I would like to know this:
The tanks have no remote controls.
After looking them over , cleaning them etc. they seem to be fine, just need remotes.
Is it possibile to take parts from the helicopter controls and radio controller, and change them to the tank to get at least one working now?
I was thinking (sometimes not a good thing for me, thinking) that it would just take moving main controller from helicopter to tank?
Now that I think more on it, seems may not be the smartest idea yet to date....
Anywho, is their anything that can be done to get the old tank moving again that would not cost a lot-o-big bucks?
since the ol economic crunch etc.. I have fallen on very hard times and try to keep myself busy as possibile.
I am actually trying to get disability, which seems impossibile these days, I am not one to take handouts but an injury in my earlier years (shot in the back) see's me no longer moving about freely as before.
Anyway, just hoping that maybe there is some solution so that I may get one of these going again, would really love to get the kids in my neighborhood interested in things like this, I am basically the street "father", I find thinmgs they enjoy and "bribe" thjem into staying in school and staying out of trouble and off drugs, in exchange for allowing them to take part in the repair process, as well as the anjoyment afte the repairs.
I really would love to see this younger generation getting a great education and knowing that their is fun in a lot of things other than gang-banging, drugs, and just plain being a "kingpin" oir something like that.
Again, thank all of you for your help.
Old-Fart-Larry

Answer
HI LARRY
THESE MODELS ARE ONE STEP ON PASSED TOYS . these are sophisticated working models the work that gone into designing these electronics is very high .
The  first step will be to identify the type of radio and wave band used, are there any electrical components inside the tanks etc. or has all the electrics been removed if so the you will have to start from scratch and install all new components . the remotes or transmitters did model all come from the same family if so then the chances are they all  used the same remote and that will make your life a lot easier. as the remote can be moved from one model to the other.
I suggest that first get hold of model magazines in an attempt to identify the various components .

the names of the makers and any numbers that are on the labels , are vital to getting things sorted .
from the information you have given there is not much to go on . electronically , get back to me again with more details .
MAIN ITEMS TO LOOK FOR INSIDE MACHINES ARE --RECEIVERS --SERVOS- BATTERIES  THESE WILL PROBABLY HAVE A COMMON NAME LIKE -- FUTABA SPECTRUM ETC  .THIS A VERY EXTENSIVE SUBJECT (RADIO CONTROL) AND COULD NOT BE COVERED BY EMAILS .
IF YOU HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH AND IN STALL ALL NEW EQUIPMENT IT WILL COST SEVERAL 100 $ .
GOOD LUCK.
MARTIN

RC Model Airplanes/Cars/Boats

Martin Seymour