REO Speedwagon/Gary's guitars

Hi Kathy!
Once again, thanks for the great job you do! I saw REO for the first time in 1982 for the GT tour. I was curious what kind of guitar Gary played during Back on the Road Again, Stillness of the Night and Ridin the Storm Out. They didn't look like Gibsons. Thanks!

Hey Mike, It was a custom-made Worthington. Here's what Gary said in a '83 interview with Vintage Guitar Magazine:

Vintage Guitar: "On an M-TV concert, you were playing what appeared to be a double cut-away 'Burst. It looked sort of like an Ibanez Artist."

Gary Richrath: "That's a Worthington guitar, made by the folks at Silver Strong Music in St. Louis. My good friend Ed Seelig works there, and I've bought almost all my Les Pauls from him. They also make guitars. I sent them one of my Les Pauls and they made an exact copy - the neck is right and everything. The only difference is the double cut-away style. If I was worried about taking my Les Pauls on the road, I'd carry a Worthington."

Thanks for a great question about Gary's guitars!

REO Speedwagon

History of the band, their music, lyrics, instrumentation, touring, hits, chart activities, and just about everything else in between.

President of REO FANS, the band's largest international fan club, and REO fan for over 45 years, having attended hundreds of concerts all over the world.

Editor & Publisher of REO FANS NEWS

Washburn Law School

With a 40+ year photographic history of the band, one of her photos was selected to appear on the band's 25th anniversary t-shirts. She was also featured on VH-1's "Rock Collectors," where her rock photography was displayed.