REO Speedwagon/Gary's guitars

Question
Hi Kathy!
Once again, thanks for the great job you do! I saw REO for the first time in 1982 for the GT tour. I was curious what kind of guitar Gary played during Back on the Road Again, Stillness of the Night and Ridin the Storm Out. They didn't look like Gibsons. Thanks!
V/R
Mike

Answer
Hey Mike, It was a custom-made Worthington. Here's what Gary said in a '83 interview with Vintage Guitar Magazine:

Vintage Guitar: "On an M-TV concert, you were playing what appeared to be a double cut-away 'Burst. It looked sort of like an Ibanez Artist."

Gary Richrath: "That's a Worthington guitar, made by the folks at Silver Strong Music in St. Louis. My good friend Ed Seelig works there, and I've bought almost all my Les Pauls from him. They also make guitars. I sent them one of my Les Pauls and they made an exact copy - the neck is right and everything. The only difference is the double cut-away style. If I was worried about taking my Les Pauls on the road, I'd carry a Worthington."

Thanks for a great question about Gary's guitars!

Kathy
GaryRichrath.com
REOFANS.com  

REO Speedwagon

Kathy