RMS Titanic/Funnels

QUESTION: Hi Michele!

I was wondering if any of the four funnels that were on Titanic were discovered on the ocean floor?

ANSWER: Hi Pete, as far as I can ascertain none of the funnels were found on the wreck.  There were 4 funnels of which only 3 were operational.  The other was fake, included to make the ship more aesthetically pleasing to look at.  I believe that at least one of the funnels crashed into the sea killing passengers in the water as the ship broke up.  In the graphics that I have seen of Dr Ballards wreck on the ocean floor there are no sign of any of the funnels as far as I can tell.  I am off to the Titanic Museum in Belfast in a few weeks time so if I discover otherwise I will let you know.

Kind regards

QUESTION: Thanks Michele for your answer regarding my question conerning Titanic's funnels. I suspect that as the funnels broke off the ship and sank, the water pressure caused the funnels to either implode or explode. Just a hypothesis!

One further question, during the construction of the ship were there any fatalities at the shipyard in Belfast due to people falling from the ship, for example?

When the Titanic was launched the men were told to move out from under the hull.  The foremen counted the men but one was found to be missing.  James Dobbins had been trapped by a large wooden post that had collapsed.  He was quickly dragged clear but died the next day.  He was the second workman to die during the building of the ship

RMS Titanic

Michele Lowe

My area of expertise is the RMS Titanic, specifically the media coverage of the disaster. This is an interesting subject area as the disaster occured on the cusp of major changes in the reporting of major disasters. Wireless and photography were in their infancy so although they did manage to play a part in the conveyance of information to both sides of the Atlantic there were many inaccuracies and the full true story did not emerge until 4-5 days after the sinking of the ship. This inevitably caused much confusion, false hope and anguish to relatives and officials. However, the unfolding of the disaster in the press is an interesting area and is an important part of the whole subject. I also have a good knowledge of the titanic in general, from its conception to the final hours

I have worked as a public relations officer/editor for the past 20 years. I have also worked in newspapers and at the BBC as a Researcher for a current affairs programme. As part of a post graduate diploma course in the History of Press in Britain at Birkbeck College (University of London) I submitted an extended essay on this subject for which I received a distinction.

Member of the Institute of Public Relations

Business and Local Government magazines and newspapers Local newspapers

BA History of Art in the Modern Period - De Montfort University, Leicester, UK - 1983 Diploma in the History of Press in Britain - Birkbeck College, University of London - 1998