RMS Titanic/substandard hull

Question
Hello.  Some years ago, I read a book that offered evidence concerning corruption among the decision-makers who built the Titanic and suggested (proved?) that the hull was not only sinkable but actually substandard; deftly explaining why Ishmay was one of the first people into a lifeboat.  It was a fascinating account but I cannot recall either title or author.  Can you help?  Thank so much.  --Meg

Answer
Hello, this is out of my area of expertise but I will chip in what I can.

Firstly White Star never advertised The Titanic as being unsinkable.  In 1911 a nautical magazine described the system of watertight bulkheads and doors as making it 'practically unsinkable', this spread and led people to believe this.

Some experts who studied the steel hull plates found that they had a high carbon content and theorised that they would shatter at cold temperatures.  However recent investigation on the wreck has confirmed that the rivets popped during the collision with the iceberg.

J. Bruce Ismay left on one of the last lifeboats.  Collapsible C at around 2am.

Hope this helps

Michele

RMS Titanic

Michele Lowe