RV Repair/onan carburetor

Keith Fosberg wrote at 2009-03-16 23:31:11
I just got my microquiet 4000 up and running again. It hadn't been started for about 18 months. It would run, very poorly, for 30 to 45 seconds and then die.

I pulled the carb off and took it apart. It has very few parts.

I soaked the carb body in carb dip for two days and then used a needle to clear the tube running from the bowl to the venturi.

Note: The float, gaskets and the ground switch absolutely must NOT be put in the carb dip as it will destroy them.

I cleaned everything else with carb cleaner spray and reassembled it and put it back on the motor. The motor now runs smoothly and continuously.

Loren wrote at 2010-05-12 04:51:31
My Onan 4000 was surging. I ran SEA FOAM through the carburator.This seemed to help a little. I had it cleaned at a small engine shop. They said they have an  "Electronic" cleaning bath. I'm not sure what this is, but they said it is like a cleaning bath jewelers use. Maybe, an ultrasonic bath???? Anyway, I installed it and it works great. I did not need to even make any adjustments. Cleaning cost me about $35. Good Luck

Loren

VRC wrote at 2011-08-25 10:20:43
Also consider a cracked or leaking intake manifold. That is what happened to mine , to the tune of $500.00 bucks.  

Ken Myers wrote at 2013-06-07 18:20:00
to the man with the onan . if it starts then shut down when you leave go of the start button its not fuel . the board is not getting juice . check to see if it makes any 120 volts if not then maybe the slip rings need cleaned . the slip rings are the commontators in the generator if they look black they need cleaned . they sell a plastic rod with sand paper on two sides . its called a slip ring cleaner it costs 19.95 from onan . had the same problem and cleaned the slip rings and wala it now runs .

Ken

RV Repair

Bill Gibbs