Rabbits/Excessive sneezing

Wee Fee wrote at 2012-11-11 01:16:32
Get someone to check up the rabbits nose, we took ours to the vet who said that rabbits can get an infection that causes sneezing. This can kill them. We got antibiotics and were told rabbits are notoriously difficult to treat. She wouldn't take the antibiotics properly so we decided if the sneezing caused her to lose condition we would "do the kind thing" She continued sneezing on and off for months. Until today. She was dripping in snot and looked sad. We thought that her day had come. We brought her inside to clean up her nose and dry her off a little. Give her some cuddles. When wiping her nose a bit of mucous was hanging out the side and when I pulled it out came a long bit of straw! Investigating further I saw more up her other nostril. I got 2 huge bits of mucous covered grass/straw pieces out of her nose. Her breathing settled immediately and no sneezing since. It never occured to us she had a nasal blockage. For months the poor bunny was suffereing with grass/straw up her nose. The vet never checked to see if it was blocked. Maybe some of the sneezing for others could be this same reason. Just a thought. Good luck :0)PS 3 very happy relieved children that the rabbit is ok  

Randy Atkinson

I can answer virtually any question on rabbits regarding health, behavior or nutrition. My specialties are issues related to GI problems, issues related to head tilt (wry neck), advanced treatment of severe infections (abscesses) and treatment of E Cuniculi infections. As a rescue, I am unable to answer questions related directly to breeding

I have been rescuing domestic rabbits for many years. Our rescue has evolved into a "special needs" rescue. We are not an adoption shelter and rarely adopt from here. We are a true rescue and take the most difficult cases. We have a high degree of medical ability here and work to develop new protocols for treating rabbits. I am also a licensed wildlife rehabilitator with a specialty in wild rabbits. Our rescue also accepts all domestic small mammals and birds and we treat any wildlife that can be legally treated in this state. We work with many of the top exotic veterinarians in the state.

No formal training. Our work started with a single rabbit that we rescued. She was very sick. We quickly found out that there are very few vets that can properly treat rabbits so I made it my mission to learn as much as possible so I could help needy rabbits. Residents of our rescue are now called upon to help train senior vet students at a nearby veterinary school. You can check out some of our "staff" and read their stories by visiting our web site at . We have rescued hundreds of domestic rabbits and literally thousands of wildlife species. While I have no formal education, I do have years of "real world" experience to the point that vets call me asking for consultation for their's quite an honor for me personally.