Rabbits/Inexplicable breathing problems

Stacey wrote at 2008-10-27 17:38:50
My rabbit Brian seem to have the same problem.  The vet thinks it's chronic pulmonary obstructive disorder.  Two x-rays, several blood tests all come out fine.  The vet is a expert on rabbit medicine.  Brian is also on herbal medication called Lily comibination and a medication called Theophylline.  His breathing is more labored during the day.  He eats and runs and seem happy most of the time.  I am desperatiely looking for a cure for him.  My next call is to Dr. Rosskoph in Hawthorne, CA.

Stacey Ho wrote at 2008-11-07 03:24:38
I wrote before.  A week ago, I took my rabbit to see Dr. Carolynn Harvey and my bunny Brian is on Zeniquin 25 mg table.  His labored breathing, including sneezing improved SIGNIFICANTLY.  The doctor also put him under anaesthesia took some samples.  I am so happy.  I hope this helps you.

hcs8 wrote at 2010-08-11 13:15:04
Hello.  I just lost a bun in a similar situation.  I have another - her bonded mate - in recovery for it.  He is currently on prednisone, TMS, and 2 stomach protectorants.  The cocktail, while working, is causing some behavior modifications.  Well, I think he may just be tired of being given so many meds 2x/day.  At any rate the doctors believe that in both cases a particular species of bot fly lodged in the throat area and migrated towards the trachea.  They removed the larvae and are treating this as an abcess caused by the larvae.  A CT scan was done and it appears that the tissue is resting on the jugular.  Therefore, they want to try to medically manage before surgery.  So, we have another 2 weeks of oral meds.  The bot flies this year have been particularly virulent - at least in the New York.  I am so sorry to hear about your bun.  The loss of Marianna was very hard.  I'm hopeful that what they learned from her can help Butters.  Just FYI:  They were treated at Cornell Vet Hospital.  I am very appreciative of the level of expert care our furry friends receive.  Finding excellent small pet doctors is not easy.

dan wrote at 2013-06-09 00:40:56
I am not a vet, but have owned rabbits for over 20 years.

The most common & safe treatment for bacteria in rabbits

is BAYTRIL (ENROFLOXACIN). Baytril can be injected/oral or

tablets. If oral mix with apple or pineapple juice to reduce

the bitter taste. caution - baytril suppresses appetite.

Alternatively SULFA-TRIM(sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim)

which does not usually suppress appetite.

For more info:

http://antibiotics.emedtv.com/sulfatrim/sulfatrim.html

for all meds see a vet to get proper dosage for your bunny

present health condition.  

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.