Rabbits/Fresh Veggies

Question

Our Bunnies
Hi

We are new to bunny ownership (we have two a neutered male and neutered female for about three weeks) and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about what veggies you can and can't feed to a rabbit.

Our vet advised to cut down on the amount of pellets we feed them and increase the amount of fresh green veggies.  She advised cabbage, broccoli, carrot tops, spinach & celery.

I've just read elsewhere that broccoli & cabbage should NOT be feed to rabbits and now I'm confused.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Answer
Dear Paul,

A few rabbits are sensitive to some of the brassicaceous vegetables (e.g., cabbage, broccoli, rapini, etc.) and get gassy from them.  That's the main reason some people recommend against giving them to rabbits.  But most bunnies can tolerate them quite well.  If we didn't give kale every night, there would be a major mutiny.

So give your bunnies small quantities to start out (this is a good idea for *any* new dietary item) and see how they do.  If you see no gassiness or mushy poop, then you can slowly increase the amount.

A variety of greens is best, and you can find a list of good ones here:

www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

Hope that helps!

Dana
P.S. - Very beautiful bunnies!  :)
    Questioner's Rating
    Rating(1-10)Knowledgeability = 10Clarity of Response = 10Politeness = 10
    CommentMany thanks for your assistance. It has helped to clarify.

• Add to this Answer
  • Ask a Question

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.