Rabbits/bunny ointment: coconut oil?

Dana Krempels wrote at 2010-06-08 22:33:18
Okay, while it's true that coconut oil is loaded with saturated fat, new research suggests it might not be quite as bad as previously thought.  Coconuts have weird compounds in them with unexpectedly healing properties.  While few scientific studies have rigorously addressed whether coconut oil has bioactivity or not, anecdotal reports of coconut oil helping with fungal infections and other maladies are starting to trickle in.  

So I partially retract my violent reaction to the coconut oil thing here, and will say that a *little bit* of coconut oil, preferably on areas where it can't be licked off, might help some nasty skin conditions.  

Hey, we live and learn.  I'm not convinced yet, but I'm also back on the fence.

Dana Krempels

Healthy1 wrote at 2010-07-28 22:28:44
While it may be true that coconut oil is not the best choice for rabbits, to make a blanket statement saying that coconut or coconut oil is unhealthy is FALSE information. Coconut is actually a very healthy food and healthy oil, despite it's past reputation. Perhaps NOT for bunnies... but for humans it's an excellent choice (as long as it is pure, organic, extra virgin coconut oil !) Read the super health benefits of coconut oil here-

Brandy wrote at 2012-08-11 19:01:27
With all due respect, coconut oil is not a typical saturated fat, and is used extensively, both topically and ingested, on many animals due to its healing, antimicrobial properties.  It has been mistakenly lumped into a "deadly fat" category for years, but is one of the most powerfully nutritious and healing natural substances there is.  I know of bunny moms who are currently using coconut oil on their babies now, so more research should be done before giving a definitive response.

Keeping knowledge up to date! wrote at 2015-05-18 18:19:41
You are about 10-15 years behind.  Please update your research as coconut oil has been proven to be one of the most BENEFICIAL oils!! If you put too much oil on it will feel 'icky' I suggest using no more than a dab of melted coconut oil.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology