Rabbits/horizontal head scanning in 6month old lop

Question
I adopted a 6 mo. old Holland mini lop, and she scans her head back and forth.  She eats, hops, and is normal in every other way.  I've had blood tests done, and she is borderline on the pasturella, and sort of high with e-coneculi.  She also has some red in her eyes.  I will start with an antibiotic today.  I also have a healthy bun that I would like to bond with her.  I have been keeping them separated, but I would like to put them together.  Could it be just normal for her to scan?  I do have a vet that is helping me, but I would like another opinion.

Answer
Dear Bonnie,

If she's done this from an early age, she may just be a "scanner."  Some rabbits do this (it's more common in albinos and rabbits with lighter colored eyes), and no one is exactly sure why.  It may be an exaggerated movement associated with the normal, microscopic nystagmus (back and forth movement of the eyeballs, which allows vision to happen), or it may be a congenital neurological thing.

In any case, it doesn't appear to harm the bunny.  It's just a personal idiosyncracy that the bunny doesn't seem to notice.  

Hope that helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.