Rabbits/r.e.w. british giant - scanning?

Question
have seen for sale today a 5 month old male rew brit giant with strange head movements.he appeared to be scanning from left to right constantly with his eyes fixed.would that affect his quality of life?could it be a symtpon of something sinister?

Answer
Dear Lou,

We occasionally see "scanners", and if this problem has been present for all the rabbit's life it is most likely a congenital problem, and not an illness that can be treated.  The scanners I've known don't seem to notice the movement, and they all have lived happy, normal lives despite the scanning.

If you can give him a good home, that would be great, since I worry that he'll become someone's dinner because of his "flaw" if a caring person who sees past it doesn't adopt him.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.