Rabbits/easing tumour symptoms in mini rex

KixMurph wrote at 2010-03-08 03:52:01
Regarding squamous cell carcinoma, I have used a special black salve in treating scc on a kitty's nose.  I have pictures of the process and my vet was involved and is still monitoring him but is very pleased with the results (almost 7 months later).

Jenna wrote at 2012-04-20 16:02:26
I googled "Turmeric Safe for Bunnies" and in my search I saw that it was a discussion here.  I recently read in one of my Allergan newsletters that they are finding Turmeric to be very beneficial for arthritis sufferers and I have several elderbuns with arthritis.  It's not inexpensive but if it works, it's worth it. It runs about $23 for 60 capsules. I bought the powedered herb and a bottle of the capsules at Sprouts last night (Sprouts brand was on special for $17.99) to I purchased that one.  Actually purchased it to start taking myself but of course I also had my furries in mind but wanted to check if it was safe for them first before I started giving it.  Now I need to know how much to give ;o)

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know it's not only beneficial for some cancers (which is also 'very' good to know) so thank you for that.

Jenna and 10 buns

Thanks for this.

hollisticpractictioner wrote at 2013-10-26 20:33:15
Just wanted to say to the first so-called 'expert,' you really shouldn't be biased towards herbal remedies. The fact that you call this 'new-agey' shows your ignorance and your pledge to science as a religion. Herbal remedies have actually been around pretty much forever, since the Earth has existed and produced plants and soil. It is only in the U.S. that this seems to be a 'phenomenon' therefore termed 'new-age.' Do some extra research and find out more. That is all I have to add.  

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology