Rabbits/Gut motility/gas in stomach

Cia wrote at 2016-06-25 16:48:47
My rabbit was born in April 2010, so is six years old now. When he was two and a half he started getting extremely severe GI stasis. I had to feed him Critical Care by feeding syringe several times a day, water by little syringe several times a day, brushing, a tablespoon a day of Bene-Bac probiotic powder in his Critical Care once a day, infant simethicone for pain, Reglan and Cisapride for gut motility, and homeopathic belladonna three times a day in water because he didn't want to drink. Homeopathic chamomilla if they're thirsty, colocynthus if there's extreme pain, and nux vomica if there's distension from gas. (From Homeopathic First Aid for Animals by Kaetheryn Walker) Belladonna worked miraculously well several times.

We're dealing with it now again for the first time in two years, because I discovered that the BEST way to deal with GI stasis is to have the rabbit completely shaved as thoroughly as possible. When there's no hair to swallow, the hair ball in the stomach is passed and the problem is over. For the past two years, whenever he stops eating I get him shaved, and voila, problem solved! I got our rabbit shaved this morning, and the vet gave me a new medication, ranitidine, which I've given him one dose of. I'll be giving him Critical Care and water by syringe until I see he's eating normally again.  

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.