Rabbits/Is my rabbit blind in one eye?

Jesse Picard wrote at 2013-06-04 22:55:59
i have had the same issue with my current bunny and a past one

im also medically trained but what people are describing does not sound like cataracts.a cataract forms between the cornea and the lens of the eye. a white/blue cloud that is deeper in the eye is a sign of trauma to the eye causing blood cells to accumilate in the vitreous humor. i actually had this issue myself

the eye may possible clear up in time if the eye has adequate drainage can take a few months.

now the scary stuff for bunnies it may cause permanent visual damage, you can get a vitectomy in which eye is cleared of debris and refilled with saline, very expensive for a rabbit. the last scary thing and this is a vet buddy of mine if the cloud cause too much pressure to the eye it may pop out and/or must be surgically removed.but most bunnies live fine happy lives bumping into walls all blind

Lisa L.

I was introduced to meat rabbits at the age of 3. Began working with them on my own at the age of 8 and started my own large commercial rabbitry at the age of 20. I'm 46 now and for the past 26 years I have owned a large herd of meat rabbits and have become well known as the turn-to person whenever a problem arrises.

Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association. Member of the Rabbit Industry Council. Member of the Yahoo - Meat Rabbits Group. Member of the American Council of Animal Naturopathy. Administrators of the FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

Yahoo Meat Rabbits Group. American Council of Animal Naturopathy FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

There is no formal training for raising rabbits; its all hands on. I have had a steady rabbit breeding operation for 24 years and have read every book there is on raising rabbits for meat. Additionally, I am a member of several rabbit groups and associations as listed below.

None - there are none in this field.

I have helped countless people over the past several decades. These have been people I knew personally or those referred to me by one of the many rabbit organizations I belong to.