Rabbits/Baby rabbit

Question
Hi there,
I had a baby wild rabbit that I rescued.  I recently went away for 3nights I left food and water when I returned I was devasted to find she had died. I wanted to find out what could have been the cause of death. I am so sad that she has gone.

Answer
Dear Moira,

I am sorry about the loss of the little bun.

Sadly, there is absolutely no way to confidently ascertain a cause of death without a post-mortem exam, preferably including histopathology of major organ tissues.  The signs you describe are very vague, and could have been due to any of dozens of different things.

If you noticed signs of unusual behavior before he died, then please read:

www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

which might give some clues.  But unless you can provide a lot more specific information, this is the best I can offer.  

If a body has been kept very cold (not frozen), and it has been less than 24 hours since death, a necropsy may give more information.  But at this point, that time has passed.

It is not safe to leave any animal alone for three days, even with food and water available.  You can't notice any sign of illness, and by the time you come home, it will be too late.  

I am sorry.

Sincerely,

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.