Rabbits/Blood in 6 year old in spayed female's urine

Question
Cotton is my unspayed bunny. She is 6 years old and has recently starting having blood in her urine. Turns out her uterus is dialated with fluid and blood. Anti-biotics aren't seeming to help. Her vet has ruled out an infection by testing her urine. He says she needs to be spayed but he isn't advising me to do that b/c of her age. He says within a few days I need to either decide to have her put to sleep or risk the spay surgery b/c it isn't good for her to remain this way. I'm afraid to try the spay b/c what if she dies during it... and I hate to put her to sleep when she isn't in pain and is happy and pretty much healthy otherwise. It isn't every time she urinates but it's enough to be a concern. I should've had her spayed when she was younger. I didn't understand the importance of it back then b/c she has been my first rabbit, and I didn't intend to ever have her around any other bunnies so I wasn't worried about accidental litters.
Have you ever experienced this kind of problem? What happens if left untreated? Does the bleeding just get worse and lead to pain and discomfort? I have read this... http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/spay.shtml
Wouldn't it be putting her through too much to even try the spay surgery? But wouldn't it be awful to just take my happy lil' bunn in to be put to sleep? Both options are awful.

Answer
Hi Ginger,

While it is not an easy decision it basically comes down to having her spayed or she will probably die from the infection or possibly uterine cancer.  We have all of our rabbits spayed regardless of their age.  It is just the smart thing to do.  Yes there is a chance that she could die from surgery but the chance that she could die from cancer is much larger.  

I wish I could make your decision for you but I can't.  I hope this information helps you.

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.