Rabbits/ear mites

I adopted a rabbit thru friends, I took speckles  (Flemish rabbit) immediately to the vet, it was obvious it had a severe ear mite infection. the ears were flushed and meds for them. I have had speckles quarantine  in an area away from my other animals,(small farm)Bedding daily is taken out and washed , straw burned and caged cleaned, after several attempts  he still has mites.has been 3 months, any more suggestions.

Dear Belinda,

What medication was he given?  Our vets use Revolution (selamectin), a topical medication that will kill many types of mites on rabbits.  DO NOT use Frontline, which can be deadly to rabbits.

It's possible that bun needs a bit of help to remove the ear mite debris from his ears, too.  To do this safely and without pain, use an eyedropper to dribble a bit of vegetable oil (preferably an unsaturated type, such as sunflower or rapeseed) onto the crusts and let them soak for about 10 minutes.  This will soften them enough so that they can be gently pulled out with a cotton swab or carefully extracted with tweezers.

DO NOT try this without softening the crusts, as it would be excruciatingly painful.  You'll need to be careful and gentle even when the crusts are softened.

Once the ears are clean, spread a very thin layer of *plain* triple-antibiotic ointment on inflamed areas.  Ask the vet about pain management:  metacam can be very helpful for the first day or two after the ears are cleaned.

Hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology