Rabbits/Eye Infection

Question
Hi, I did not find any area I could ask about Chinchillas in so I decided a rabbit is one of the closest to it. Its not a specific question about Chinchillas so I assumed it would be okay. My cousins chinchilla has an eye infection. I know how to treat it but would like to know if over the counter ointments are okay to use on him. I know neosporin can be questionable if its on an area that can be licked but I would be applying it to his eye which is obviously not reached by his tongue. I just wanted to know if I would be okay using something not specifically prescribed to him for a minor eye infection. Also, if you have any tips on how to apply the ointment to the eye, that would be very helpful. Thank you!

Answer
Dear Nathan,

I would not recommend over the counter remedies for this type of problem.  The "eye infection" could be due to a dental problem, and the eye might not be the primary source of the problem at all. The infection could be a corneal injury...or any number of things that are not an infection.

Using a non-ophthalmic ointment in the eye is also not recommended, and could do more harm than good.  If this is an infection, and the bacteria causing the problem are not sensitive to the antibiotic you're using, you'll not only be wasting money, but also time that the chinchilla could be using to heal.

I would recommend getting the chin to a good exotics vet who can examine the him in person and determine the source of the problem.  Only then can appropriate treatment be prescribed.

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.