Rabbits/I have a healthy bunny... Is he happy?

Question
This may seem like a ridiculous question, but I have never had a rabbit before. I have a 4 month old dwarf lionhead house rabbit who has been the picture of health and an ideal pet. I have no other pets and he seems pretty content, "binkies" constantly, "tooth purrs" whenever he's petted, frequently cuddles on our laps for hours at a time, and its rare not to see him stretched out full length on his side. I understand all of these to be side effects of a happy bunny, but several people much more rabbit savvy than me have insisted that his cage is too small (2'x 3'), he doesn't get enough playtime (minimum 3-4 hours) and he will never be a well adjusted, emotionally healthy bunny unless he has a bunny friend. I don't want to short change the little guy but I'd have to stretch my finances to get him a friend and I'm not sure I have the resources to bond two rabbits properly. He's never acted aggressive or aloof, but maybe I'm mistaking loneliness for affection? Is it cruel to have just one rabbit? does he need more space and freedom without a companion as a diversion? Any insight from an expert would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Nadia

Answer
Dear Nadia,

The cage does sound a bit too small.  But if your bunny is not at all destructive, has good litterbox habits, and your house is "bunny-proofed" then there is little reason to ever close him up in the cage.  All our own bunnies have completely free range, as would a dog or cat.

You can keep the cage open and supplied with litterbox, food, water, etc. for a "home base" that your bun might like to use as a sleeping spot.  But he will be very happy if he can wander freely, at will.  It will just require that you make sure there are no hidden dangers that he could get into if running free and unsupervised.

A companion is not absolutely necessary if your bun has plenty of love and attention from you.  But if he's alone during the times bunnies are most active (morning and evening), then you might consider setting up a "blind date" with your local rabbit rescuer to see if he likes any of the available girls.  He must be neutered first, though.

If you are happy with the situation as it is, then don't rush things.  He's still young, and you have time to make these decisions.  Once he reaches full sexual maturity he may push your hand by exhibiting unwanted behaviors such as spraying, mounting, etc. and then you'll all be much happier if he's neutered.  At that point, consider a pal.  Until then, just make sure he's loved and has plenty of play time outside his cage and he will be a happy, well-adjusted bunny.

Good luck!

Dana  

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.