Rabbits/Panacur

Question
Hi Dana.

I have a 3 yr old Flemish Giant who, in the past, has exhibited symptoms of EC. The last bout was in July 2010. Two days ago she started showing symptoms again. After observing her yesterday, I contacted the vet's office this morning. Her vet is off until Wednesday and there are no other rabbit savvy vets available, so they went ahead and prescribed an antibiotic that she was prescribed in July 2010. I have read that Panacur is a good treatment for EC symptoms and can help to prevent it from flaring up again. After looking at the local pet stores, the only Panacur that I could find is "Safe Guard" for canines. This is a 22% powder. The only ingredient listed on the box and included packaging is the fenbendazole. Is this the same as the Panacur for cats and is this ok to use for the rabbit? I would like to get her started on this asap so that she can hopefully get better. Would you happen to know the dosing for the 22% powder? I have seen Panacur in a 10% liquid suspension and a 18.75% paste for rabbits. This is 22% powder which I can mix with apple sauce or mashed banana's.

Thank you very much for your time and I hope that you have a wonderful new year!

Answer
Dear Angie,

Mixing up the 22% powder will be a little more complicated than using the ready-mixed paste, but it can be done.  I don't know what other ingredients might be in it, if any, so you might want to check with your vet before proceeding.

100 grams of powder should contain 22grams (2200mg) of Panacur.  Not sure how big the package is, so you might have to scale down.  If you mix 10grams (220mg of fenbendazole) of powder into enough water (preferably distilled, or at least filtered) to make a total volume of 4.4mL (mL is the same as a cubic centimeter, or cc), then you will have a 50mg/ml suspension of fenbendazole.  Note that's *total* volume:  don't add it to 4.4mL of water, because the powder will provide some of that volume.  You'll have to start by adding 3ml, and then add more to *total* 4.4mL.

You can make it more or less concentrated by adjusting the amounts of powder and/or liquid.

If you want to mix it directly into apple sauce or mashed banana, you'll have to use the proper volume, as you would of water.  Of course, always consult with your vet before starting your bunny on any medication.

Hope that helps.

Dana  

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.