Rabbits/PLZZZ help me!!!whats hapening?!?!

Question
Well, I have a big 7 year old buck hes pretty healthy and happy and have a doe who is im guessing 4 or 5 the people I had bought them from had told me she has had a litter before and that shes fertile we have had her for 2-3 years we had tried breeding her during summer and he fell of her about a minute after mounting he kept humping her face then going back on her genital so it was successful bc he had fell offher back but she had no signs of pregnancy I checked her teats and she didnt make a nest and she did not ever give birth so we tried again a month after and he mounted her and humped her face then back to her genitals and fell of showing the signs of a successful breed but again no kits I also have a young buck he is 3 months old should I try breed her with the younger male or is she too old?? Im really upset with this I would really love having baby bunnies ive bred rabits many Times before. Really want babies so please help thanks in advance

Answer
Dear Cole,

Please read:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/breeding.html

At the age of 4 or 5, your female is probably not at the optimum age for having babies, and should not be subjected to this.  Especially if the breeder was not truthful with you, and she's never had babies, this could be very dangerous for her.  If the male is much bigger, there is even MORE reason not to breed them.

At their ages, their fertility will have declined.

Baby bunnies are adorable, it's true.  But please read the article above for the most pertinent information about breeding your bunnies.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.