Rabbits/Pregnant mini rex bunny

Should the male be taken out of the cage before the female has her babies?

Hi Bev,

Yes the male needs to be taken out. Rabbits can become pregnant again immediately after giving birth.  Unaltered male and female rabbits should never be left together alone in a cage.  While they may appear to be getting along they can and will fight when left together.  While it is entirely possible to bond spayed and neutered rabbits it is very dangerous to leave unaltered rabbits living together.  If you chose to breed rabbits you should take the doe to the bucks cage, watch them breed and then separate them.

While I believe that all persons should have the right to do as they wish when it comes to caring for their animals I feel it prudent to express to you that there are far to many unwanted bunnies in the world.  I strongly recommend that if you wish to breed rabbits that you ensure that the rabbits you are breeding are both purebred and pedigreed animals.  I also encourage you to join the American Rabbit Breeders Association, you will receive a book with your initial membership few called 'Breeding Better Rabbits and Cavies'.  This book will not only answer this question but any questions you may have in the future.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.